George and Martha Kramer moved to High Ridge Farm in Robinson Township, Washington County in the 1930’s and started growing fresh vegetables, fruit and meat for the Pittsburgh farm markets. When they built their first greenhouse in 1945, Martha started supplying plants to friends and neighbors, digging up the transplants from the roots from benches of soil, wrapping them in newspaper for the trip to their new home.
In 1963, their son and daughter-in-law, Wayne and Helen Kramer, built a larger greenhouse at their home on Steubenville Pike – then US 22 – and continued the business with the help of their five children. Their youngest, Chris, took over management of the business in 1996.
Anticipating the need to relocate due to the construction of the Findlay Connector and Southern Beltway highway projects, Chris and his wife, Dawn, purchased a piece of the vacant Singleton Farm on Steubenville Pike in Smith Township near their home in 2001. Chris and Dawn and friends and family designed and built the building that now houses the greenhouse store, winery and brewery tap room and opened the greenhouse there in 2004.
Chris and Dawn opened the winery in 2009 and in 2016 opened Washington County’s first craft brewery.
On any given day, you might run into the third, fourth or FIFTH generation of the Kramer Family working in our shop.